October 19, 2004

THE MOST POWERFUL JOURNEY OF A LIFE TIME FOR THIS AFRICAN IN AMERICA!

I would like to share with you all another personal introspection into the life of an African Slave descendant. I shared with you a brief family and personal history. Family is the most important and motivating factor in my life. When I say family, I do not simply mean immediate family, but my extended family of relatives and ancestors. The birth and life of my daughter has been the most profound and beautiful experience of my life. It is the only event in my life that has truly fulfilled and exceeded my expectations. Her birth, my first child, allowed me to complete the prime directive of life, besides survival, which the creation of progeny to continue the blood and species line.

Prior to the birth of my daughter, however, the most profound and gratifying experience of my life occurred in March of 2001. That is when this descendant of African slaves fulfilled the yearning of his captured ancestors by returning their DNA and progeny back to whence they/it had come….AFRICA.

I had made a promise to myself long ago that I would return to Africa that which was by design still African and that which is the vehicle of my ancestors, which is my flesh. I live because of them and they continue to live because of and through my existence. We are one and inseparable and I live to honor and respect their lives and struggles…as well as my own. Together we are strong.

So in March of 2001, my wife (then fiancé) arrived in Accra Ghana on a British Airways flight from London. I had saved up a long time for this as it was not cheap. When the plane landed on the tarmac and I stepped off the plane into the dark, hot and humid night, I was overcome emotionally. I could not believe I was there…actually back in the land of my ancestors. Tears broke the drought of my dry cry. At that moment, the promised journey had been fulfilled. I had returned my ancestors to their home land. I could have gotten back on the plane and returned back to the US…by choice and not force as my ancestors were taken away.

When we stepped out of the Airport after passing through customers, my wife and I were greeted by a parking lot full of African jittney men and baggage carriers looking to give us a ride to our destination and handle our bags for us. It was a sea of richly melanined dark brown faces all smiling and welcoming “back home” .

We did not go with a tour group or follow the tourist script. We got a hotel then a guest house and made friends quick with a brother name John, who was the concierge at the hotel we first stayed at. He told us that we were spending to much money their and that he could show us some cheaper places. He took us to meet his family in the village on his day off.

It was so strange because it made everything clear seeing the Africans. Looking at them I could see African Americans. The walks, the gestures, the dancing, the looks and features….there was no doubt that this is were we came from…it was like being home away from home…I felt like that is where I belonged…that was family…it was strange in a pleasant sense.

I thought that the people would look male nourished and weak, but to my pleasant surprise those were some of the healthiest and strong looking people that I had ever seen. I went to a fishing village and seen brothers who were just ripped and cut like they had been working out all their lives. However, forget the brother…the sisters…Good God almighty….talk about some grace and beauty…and not to mention that boo…well, you know. I seen some of the finest women that I had seen in my life…lawd help a brother do the right thing.

The Ghanaians were probable the friendliest people that I had ever meet, despite having the least of any people that I had met. Of course, once they knew you were American they befriended you to engage in commerce. However, I watched how they treated and spoke with one and other to gauge my opinion. It was beautiful and I could not help but to juxtapose it with the behavior and attitudes of African Americans. They are who we once were until we were corrupted by the influence of Western civilization and its crimes against ours peoples humanity.

I could go on with more but I will not. I just wanted to share a powerful and emotional experience of my life and recommend that somehow, if you can afford it, go visit the motherland. Make sure you do it the right way as not to have the American tourist experience, but one in which you connect with the locals on a more personal bases. Likely, if you are not a conscious black person in regards to being connected to your ancestors spiritually and to the struggles of your people, likely you should not go to Africa. The reason being is that you will only see what you want to see…which is a reason to be proud and lucky that you do not live there…in other words, you will be thanking that your ancestors were slaves so that you can now enjoy the material wealth of the West…even as a second class citizen. That is a shame, because we have become so blinded in the West by material wealth that we do not realize how poor we are, relative to Africans, in all other aspects of life and happiness.

I am currently making long term plans to buy property in Africa. I want to remain permanently connected and if feasible, have a dual citizenship in a chosen nation that offers such.


3 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noah, sounds like a most inspirational trip for you and your wife to the land of your ancestors. I, whether fortunately or not, have really no similar experience.

I do, however, have one that was filled with great emotion. Many years ago, when I visited Germany for the first time, I was struck by two things: first, the great beauty of this country, with its forests, meandering rivers and lush vineyards. I kept on wondering: how could such unspeakable atrocities have occurred in such a beautiful land?

On the same trip, I went to Amsterdam and visited the house where Anne Frank hid with her family to avoid the Nazis (ultimately, unsuccessfully.) Some of the house has artifacts preserved that signify the habits of a typical teenager: letters, and photos of movie stars.

I was moved to tears by something odd: a tiny blue china toilet, that did service for all of Anne's family, and other families that were hiding out with them... a toilet that could not be flushed during the day, so as to give away that anyone was hiding there.

What must it have been like to spend month after month afraid to LIVE - that you would give away that you exist and then be extinguished? I cannot imagine.

I cannot imagine how people ever, EVER thought that there was any rationale whatsoever to attempt to rid the world of Jews.

I cannot imagine how people ever, EVER thought that there could be any rationale whatsoever to think they could own other human beings, take away their freedom and use them as slave labor.

Is my failure of imagination good or bad? I do not know. All I know is that it is mandatory that the story of slavery and the story of the holocaust be taught, over and over, so that future generations always be aware of the great evils that are lurking within us.

Peg K

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noah thanks for sharing your experience. It brings to mind an experience I had this past weekend. I attended an African Dance-Drumming performance. It was awesome! I felt a spiritual connection, a oneness with the drums and dance. The spirit of those drums were powerful…I was mesmerized.

The experience definitely heightens my need to visit the motherland. I had planned on visiting Ethiopia first but am now tore between there and Ghana. But it’s likely to be Ghana. Maybe it’s the spirits of the ancestors through the Ewe drums calling me. I don’t know, but sure look forward to one day experiencing the powerful journey to the motherland. It will undoubtedly be life changing.

Regards,

Len

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Noah TA said...

Sister…I wish you a fruitful and safe journey to and from the motherland. I have been to Ivory Coast too. I am looking to go again…leaning towards South Africa, Tanzaia or Kenya. I want to hit the major regions, West, East and South. Ghana is an excellent choice. Try to get there during one of the traditional festivals…that is something that we have missed due to picking times were the prices were cheapest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Black Sites and Forums