February 10, 2005

LOVE


I just wanted to say that my young empress daughter gives me the greatest joy in my life. She is 2 years old and the other day she was playing with some Lego Blocks and intensely focused on her construction for a while. When she was done and satisfied with her creation she stood up and carried it over to me with a glaring sense of accomplishment and anticipation for my reaction. I immediately praised her as I was actually impressed with what she had done. After I praised her she responded with an expression of happiness and joy that is priceless. I would not and could not trade that for all the money in the world. She then proceeded to show her mom the creation and beamed the same glow of happiness and joy when her mom praised her too. Her expression and joy gave me such joy that I could not image life without her.

When I watched the PBS documentary on slavery and how families were split up and sold, I immediately thought of my daughter. I cannot image the pain and agony of having your children SOLD and uprooted away from the family. Our people have truly endured much and should be extremely proud that we have preserved to this point. We should never forget the pain of our ancestors just because others feel guilt and do not want to be held accountable for the sins of their fathers. We need to honor and speak to our ancestor’s spirits and let them know we need them and have not forgotten their pain. We need to prepare our descendants with the strength and history or our ancestors.

6 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger Noah TA said...

Thanks June...I just hope I can rear her so that her inner beauty surpasses the outer.

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noah, June is exactly right; you do have a beautiful daughter. Of course, you're right, too - though lovely to have exterior beauty, it is what is inside that matters the most.

Your daughter is fortunate to have parents who love her so much - and who let her know how much they value her.

What eyes, though... she seems to have the eyes of a much older and wiser child.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Noah TA said...

Thanks Peg K. My little Empress was 12 weeks premature and weighed only 2.5 lb at birth. Here birth date should have been April 17...but she came Feb 2nd (she should be two in April).

She has good cognitive abilities. She is already constructing simple sentences with subject, predicate and verb. She has good reasoning ability as well. The other day her favorite cousin was leaving and she did not want her to go. Her cousin was standing at the door and my daughter was holding her hand crying so that she would not leave. I tried to bribe her away by offering her a cookie, with the hope that when she came to get the cookie, her cousin could then go out the door. Well, she out smarted me because she initially released her cousins hand and started to fall for the bait. Then she returned to her cousin, grabbed her hand and brought her over to get the cookie.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, clearly the little Empress has a very intelligent father - and it appears that she did well in the gene lottery by inheriting that from you, Noah.

12 weeks is very early! (I was a mere 4 weeks early, and 4 something lbs. at birth, many moons ago.) Thank goodness she was fine.

How nice that you obviously love your gift of a child, too. Something I will never enjoy - but whenever I see those who do appreciate their good fortune, it makes me smile.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Romal said...

This is Vox...

I hadn't checked in in awhile, and for some reason this is the entry I clicked on first. This was one of the more uplifting things I've read in a while. Thanks for sharing your joy with everyone, Noah, and thanks also for having the courage to tie it in with the larger historical perspective.

Would you mind sharing your daughter's name?

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Noah TA said...

My daugther has an African name that translates in meaning to "Grace".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Black Sites and Forums