September 22, 2004

THE CREDIT PIMPS.

ARE YOU BEING PIMPED BY THE SYSTEM?

To people reared in educated and or affluent environments and households, they may be taken aback when I say that no one ever sat down and told me the value of your credit rating in life. Not only was I void of this knowledge...as the most junior child, I feel victim to my elder siblings using my name and identity to get different types of credit. Needless to say, my credit was bad before I reached adulthood. I subsequently exacerbated the situation, not understanding the importance of it in combination with not making long terms plans in my life at that time.

I have come to realize, the hard way, just how important credit is in a persons economic life. Having good credit can save you hundreds of thousands of dollars over a lifetime, from big ticket items like homes, autos, boats and the like. Not only that, in order to rent a car and stay at many hotels, they want you to have a credit card. We are living in a credit society these days and your worth is judged by your credit rating score.

In light of the times that we live, having good credit can save you plenty of money in the long run and having bad credit can cost you. When I say cost you, I mean that it gives financers an excuse to exploit you. Financers can’t make much of a return off people with good credit, because they are given such great interest rates and other deals. Those people with terrible credit and who would end up costing the financers in bad loans are not given loans. Thus, the profit margins come from exploiting those with marginal credit. These are the people who are likely to pay, but have sometimes had late payments and a moderately low credit rating.

Some of the practices simply do not make much sense. For example, the insurance industry, in some states, charge higher premiums based upon your credit score. Is there a correlation between having bad credit and being getting into accidents or having more claims? The insurance actuary industry seems to think so. I would venture to guess that bad credit manifest in every class strata, but most profoundly among the poor. The poor tend to live in poor communities with higher congestion and crime rates, which likely lead to more accidents and property crimes, resulting in more claims. Thus, it seems to me that the higher claim volume is linked to poverty and not credit score. The insurance industry already penalize you for living in higher crime and congestion, thus increasing it for bad credit is simply penalizing them twice for the same phenomenon.

Not only that, what about home mortgages? If you have had an impeccable rental payment history, but have had some problems paying your car or credit cards on time and went into delinquency on other small accounts, the only thing that should matter is you rental payment history. The reason being is that people naturally place their bills in a hierarchy, based upon their needs. If people cannot pay all their bills, they will usually prioritize paying what they need the most, which is usually a place to stay. If a person does not have a rental payment history, then the credit score would have more weight. But if one has such a history, that payment history, and not credit score, should determine your credit worthiness and hence interest rate, but it does not.

It all seems rather counter intuitive. If a person has had trouble paying their bills or have a less than favorable income to debt ratio, then charging them more seems that it would only increase the probability that they could not pay it back. It seems akin to giving a person more bricks to carry, because he demonstrated an inability to carry previous loads. Does that not seem counter intuitive? On the other hand, the person who has demonstrated the abilityt to carry the load on time is rewarded with less bricks to carry. Its a punitive system.

The truth is that this is how a lot of finance companies are increasing their profit margins, by exploiting those with marginal credit and throwing in all these fees. Being black only exacerbates the situation, because studies have shown that blacks, even with good credit, are charged higher rates than whites, everything else being equal. Thus, a black person with bad credit, but not terrible credit, will be charged extremely higher rates for credit than they should be charged. Hence, if you plan on having something in life….PLEASE CLEAN UP THAT CREDIT and ALSO PLEASE TEACH YOUR CHILDREN THE VALUE AND NEED OF HAVING GOOD CREDIT.


7 Comments:

At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned long ago that credit cards were nothing but another way for the system to steal from you. I use debit cards only and they are just as valid as credit cards. The only disadvantage is that you cannot have purchases that you believe are defective cannot be reversed by the bank. I have been able to purchase airline tickets, rent automobiles, rent hotel rooms and purchase the same items that one is able to purchase with a credit card. Debit cards also teach you to be more conscious of what you have in your account. The next automobile I purchase will be with cash only and I will also purchase my house with cash only.

Comrade

 
At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned long ago that credit cards were nothing but another way for the system to steal from you. I use debit cards only and they are just as valid as credit cards. The only disadvantage is that you cannot have purchases that you believe are defective cannot be reversed by the bank. I have been able to purchase airline tickets, rent automobiles, rent hotel rooms and purchase the same items that one is able to purchase with a credit card. Debit cards also teach you to be more conscious of what you have in your account. The next automobile I purchase will be with cash only and I will also purchase my house with cash only.

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Noah TA said...

Yes...that is all that I use today also...my debit card. Saving (if possible), patients and paying cash for most things will save you thousands of dollars in your life time. ONe has to have a long term perspective. THinking short term is how they get you...they prey on those who need IMMEDIAT GRATIFICATION.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Faheem said...

I am not taken aback nor am I suprised, there are so many things in my life that once I learned about them and the time it took to play catch up, the position I would eventually end up in was not representative of me or who I am. I always tell the story of entering H.S. not knowing that the schools kept track of students GPA and that they actually ranked the students. I played the fool the first two reporting periods of H.S. and found myself ranked 81 in my class with a GPA that was deplorable. Upon realizng my position and looking at those who surrounded me, I went to work. Needless to say because of those first two reporting periods I was only able to finish in the top ten instead of top five. To this day, I believe if I was prepared and told what I was getting into I would have finish at the Top of my class without question. Brother Noah you are correct preparing our children and children we know for what they will be faced with is key in our struggle for upward mobility.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Don't use debit cards, there is no legal protection of your money if it get stolen or people use the number to get purchases.

With credit cards you are only liable for $50 with debit cards they can empty your bank account and you are shit out of luck.

Use credit card, just use personal discipline to pay if off each month.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Faheem said...

I have no idea who you bank with Scott, but every bank I know of replace money stolen through usage of a stolen debit card. This just happen to my mother with Bank of America last month. Someone stole her card and spend two hundren plus dollars and it was back in the account the next day. Filled out the paper work they sent out and now the reimbursement is permanent. Maybe you should switch banks.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Good to know they have fixed that big problem they had in the beginning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Black Sites and Forums